Monday 20 August 2012

Homeric Writers' Retreat & Workshop = Success!!!

I'm back!

Wow, what a whirlwind summer. So much to tell you, but let's start with the retreat with Chuck Sambuchino, hey? I'm going to keep it short and sweet today, tell you about it in brief with some photos (below). There is so much to say that I can't quite summarize all my thoughts into one post, so I reckon the way to go is to open up the comments to questions.

Ask me anything you like about the retreat, anything at all, and I'll answer your questions on my blog, along with a link to your blog to get you a little exposure too. I'll answer one or two questions at a time, in a series, which I will post every Monday until all the questions are answered: How To Organize a Writers' Retreat.

BONUS! If you share this post on Facebook or Twitter (tell me so in the comments after your question with the link), I will dedicate a day to showcase you (and your book if you have one) on my blog, on any Wednesday of any week. From now on, Wednesday will be Author Guest Post Day, on The Alliterative Allomorph. (get in quick, as I will only book Wednesdays until the beginning of December)

The Retreat in a Nutshell:

The entire crew eating ice cream in Frikes Bay, after the first dinner together. From left to right:  Rebekah Dedmon, Beccy Hall, Samantha Rector, Cari DeSantis, Chuck Sambuchino (host), Jessica Bell (host), Heidi Tauschek, Nick Deligaris, Marilena Mexi, Paul Cuclis, Karen Bass, Mike Bass.
(Photograph  (C) 2012 Erika Bach)
Sightseeing in Anoghi, which means "on top of the world", so we're pretending to be falling from the top of the world! Great idea, Heidi. Makes for a fabulous shot!
(Photograph  (C) 2012 Heidi Tauschek)
Expressing our enthusiasm.
(Photograph (C) 2012 Heidi Tauschek)
The welcome dinner in Frikes Bay at Rementzo Tavern.  (Photograph  (C) 2012 Erika Bach)

Esther, the guide on the Homer's School walk telling us all about the history of the ruins surrounding us.

Esther, the guide on the Homer's School talking about Odysseus at the Stavros archaeological museum.

Our first excursion to the picturesque village of Kioni. Enjoying a cocktail or two at Spavento Bar right on the edge of the water.

Workshop outside, at Nostos Hotel in Frikes Bay.

Chuck Sambuchino discussing Publishing Today. In the lobby of Nostos Hotel, in Frikes Bay. (Photograph (C) 2012 Erika Bach)

Paul Cuclis talking with his hands like a true Greek. (Photograph (C) 2012 Erika Bach)
A part of the crew soaking up the knowledge. (Photograph (C) 2012 Erika Bach)


So ... whatcha wanna know? Ask and an answer shall be given ...


29 comments:

  1. I'm so interested in this, Jessica. I've never been on a retreat like that, and I've never necessarily seen the need (but I don't know anything about them, either!). What are the goals of a retreat? Seems like it would be to get away and get a lot of writing done, but judging by those pictures, I have to wonder how that was possible with such excellent surroundings and company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I sincerely hope it becomes an annual event so I can try to come along next year. If you could distill it down to the one most important outcome of the retreat, what would it be? (And I reposted on Facebook, just FYI).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome. If only I were rich and had the vacation time ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that looks amazing. I hope I can attend a retreat like that one way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an awesome time! And so much work.
    What moment was the highlight? At what point did everything just click for all involved? And sorry, I'm on vacation right now and won't be able to send out a Tweet until I return...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back. I wish I could attend a retreat like this. What a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jessica, how I wish I could have been there. The setting alone must be worth a thousand ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like it was a fun time. How were the days structured?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Q on these lines also - maybe there is a link to a schedule?

      Delete
  9. Looks amazing! Oh, how I wish I could have gone. Did everyone get along? Any salacious gossip? Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I am still in awe that you guys hosted this event in Greece! Would have loved to have gone if it weren't so far away. It looks like you guys had a nice balanced between fun tourist stuff and learning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an amazing time! :) I'd love to know the agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that looks fantastic. But in such a location, I think I'd be so tempted to PLAY instead of work... still--looks amazing! I'm curious about how you structured it, too--how did you mix writing, learning from the experts, (seminars versus workshops?) playtime...

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pictures look fun to have been in. Being a harried rare blood courier, I will probably never share in a retreat. Knowledge is always good to get.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds very cool. I'd love to do something like this someday, but it may be a while. I don't guess a retreat in Pico Rivera, CA sounds all that great so I won't bother organizing one here.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a lovely time, I always read Chuck's posts. This does sound like a great retreat, but out of reach.

    Question:
    What was the agenda like for the days of the retreat? I'm just curious as to the information and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fascinating! My question is: for the writing sessions, how did you structure them? Were there writing prompts or exercises, or did people work on their own stuff? And if the latter, was there a way to get "help" from the retreat staff for plot issues, etc. ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO AWESOME!!! Wish I could've gone. Maybe I'll go to the next one. Hint, hint. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I would love to go to this event some year. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What would you do differently the next time? I assume there will be a next time, it looked wonderful! Shame I have flight commitments each year in other parts of the world. Well done on this achievement! Bravo! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like it was a success and fun to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like an awesome time. That's great you organized it. Chuck's a great connection to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like it was an awesome workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome! So jealous. Let's see... I know - when and where will the next event be? How about Montreal? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, congrats! Looks like it was a great success and what gorgeous pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, to be young again! It looks like you all had a glorious time. Awesome!! Thanks for sharing. I love photographs on a blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jess - am at library .. so this comment might get thru - that looks so much fun and I'm looking forward to reading everyone's questions and then your answers ..

    Cheers - happiness is in Greece?! One day I shall get back .. for now seeing the group is a great reminder .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous! What a beautiful location~ How long before everyone was at ease? What was your favorite part?

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris